For this recipe, I marinate chicken tenderloins in an orange, lime, chili powder base marinade overnight. Grill the chicken and add sauteed bell peppers and onions to one-half of a toasted bolillo roll. Top with cheese and set under the broiler until the cheese melts. I then add fresh homemade guacamole and finish it with the other half of the toasted bolillo to make a mouth-watering chicken fajita sandwich. A new family favorite! The chicken is so moist. Marinating chicken overnight makes a big difference. It was full of flavor and juicy. Veggies were nice and tender, and melted cheese complimented the sandwich. Enjoy the sandwich as is, or be a little extra and add the guac. It’s delicious either way!
- 1 lb of chicken tenders
- 3 tbsp of oil
- 1–2 large limes (juiced)
- 1–2 large oranges (juiced)
- Two garlic cloves (pressed, smashed, or minced)
- 1 tbsp of chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp oregano
- 2–4 dashes of tabasco (more or less)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- One red, green, and yellow bell pepper sliced
- One yellow or purple onion (sliced)
- Monterey Jack or pepper jack cheese (sandwich sliced)
- Sandwich rolls
Fresh Homemade Guacamole
- 2–3 Large avocados
- 1–2 Roma tomatoes (seeded and diced)
- One medium-size yellow or purple onion (chopped)
- One can of diced jalapenos (4-6 oz) or fresh Jalapeno (chopped). Seeded and deveined for less heat.
- A handful of cilantro (chopped)
- Juice of half a lemon or lime
- Garlic salt to taste
Mash avocados and all ingredients listed. Stir until well combined.
- In a small mixing bowl, add 3 tbsp oil, lime and orange juice, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, tabasco sauce, salt, and pepper. Combine well. Reserve 1-2 tbsp of the marinade to sautee onions and bell peppers.
- In a ziplock bag, toss chicken tenderloins with orange, lime, chili powder base marinade. Marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes or longer (overnight recommended)
- Grill chicken on medium to low heat until well cooked.
- In a large skillet, sautee onions and bell peppers with reserved marinade until tender.
- Slice rolls lengthwise, Toast to a golden brown.
- To one-half of the toasted roll, add grilled chicken, sauteed veggies, and cheese slices.
- Set under the broiler until cheese has melted.
- Top with homemade guacamole and remaining half of toasted roll
If you are watching your carb intake, this chicken goes well in a salad or on its own with sauteed veggies.
- Category: Lunch/Dinner